Friday, September 12, 2008

brett favre is comfortable in Wrangler

"The only time in life we should be comfortable is in our favorite jeans. The rest of it -- relationships, work, art -- we should always strive to grow and growing is never comfortable." --Steve Ford


...makes me think of my favorite jeans. well-worn, buffed to a smooth texture from the wear and tear and tumble in the dryer...holes, some larger than others. I could do just about anything in these jeans...sleep in them, exercise in them, work in them...

...reminds me of waking in the middle of the night as a child because my legs were painfully growing. since I wasn't standing on them, they finally had a chance to expand as I lay. growing was never easy...especially on my parents, who had to buy longer pants and bigger shoes for me every two or three weeks (or so it seemed)...

...reflects upon me physical growth (which, as a child, I couldn't really control) and the clothes I kept outgrowing (also couldn't control), and how, since I've stopped growing physically, the pants I wear now have a longer life expectancy for me...I will wear them longer and more often. thus, my favorite jeans...my multi-dimensional jeans...my comfortable jeans.

...causes me to wonder where else I will grow in my life having passed that physical growth in getting to 6'2" and 190 lbs. will I strive to continue growing in things that I CAN control? and what kind of discomfort will be associated with that growth?

... inspires me to pursue that which I CANNOT control and allows me to grow uncomfortably. I could do just about anything in those jeans...but I won't grow in or out of them. maybe doing missions work in another country...or standing up for what I believe...or serving someone to an unknown extreme requires different pants. maybe chasing after a will not my own and totally out of my control will provoke a different wardrobe altogether...

...2 Corinthians 1.3-5 ESV...

No comments: