Monday, February 23, 2009

oscar quotes

Some good quotes from some brilliant people last night at the Academy Awards. Some snippets...

But most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he'd want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told that they are less than by their churches, by the government or by their families, that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value and that no matter what anyone tells you, God does love you and that very soon, I promise you, you will have equal rights federally, across this great nation of ours. Thank you. Thank you. And thank you, God, for giving us Harvey Milk.
Dustin Lance Black, Writer, Milk


It's been such an inspiration to spend time with a character [Wall-E] who so tenaciously struggles to find the beauty in everything that he sees. It's a noble aspiration to have at times like these.
Andrew Stanton, Original Screenplay, Wall-E


The essence of the film which is about optimism and the power of hope in the lives, and all my life I had a choice of hate and love. I chose love and I'm here. God bless . . . And I want to tell something in Tamil, which says, which I normally say after every award which is ella puhazhum iraivanukke: "God is great." Thank you.
A.R. Rahman, Composer, Slumdog Millionaire


I stay up to watch the show and I always felt that this was, this ceremony was a moment of unity for the world because art, in any form, is and has been and will always be our universal language and we should do everything we can, everything we can, to protect its survival.
Penelope Cruz, Lead Actress In A Supporting Role, Vicky Cristina Barcelona


And I said at another awards ceremony that our producers were great because they did what every producer should ever do and that is leave us alone.
Donald Graham Burt, Art Director, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

This was one of my fav quotes of the night because, as an artist and in great respect for his producers, there is tremendous value in giving artists space and time to create. Artists can't be logistical like a producer and vice versa, but they work great together when they work separate from each other.

3 comments:

John C said...

man - you left off one of the best quotes of the night - "It has been said that 'To write is to live forever' . . . the man who wrote that is dead.

Tina Fey & Steve Martin

Adam said...

I did enjoy Tina and Steve. Steve to Tina: "Don't you dare fall in love with me." :) haha

I was trying to find video or transcript of the hosts/hostesses and those who announced nominees. Wanting to see the whole show again, actually...and no DVR.

John C said...

I have it on DVR. I can run that off to a DVD - actually it would be several probably. And the image gets shrinked down from the HD image. Do you know how to take video from the DVR into a computer or Hard drive by any chance? I just take it analog from the DVR into a consumer grade DVD recorder/player right now.