Saturday, March 14, 2009

up, up and auctioned away

I just read news that a rare copy of Action Comics #1, which features the first appearance of Superman, was recently auctioned for the final bidding price of $317,200.

Originally released in 1938 and sold for 10 cents, this comic was sold by a guy who, himself, bought the comic at age 9 from a second-hand store for 35 cents in the early 1950's. There are only about 100 copies of the comic still known to exist.

I was a comic collector when I was younger (and I still have a few boxes of items). My grandma would tell me the story of my late grandpa, who once had a copy of that very same comic when he was young. But his mother thought comics were rubbish and trashed that and his other comics.

And, suddenly, I'm feeling nauseous......

No comments: